Important Facts About Early Surgical Abortion

The decision to get an abortion is a personal, painful, and private one for every woman. If you're considering making the choice, you should have all the facts at your disposal so you can make the most well-informed decision possible about what is right for you and which procedure is the best for you. One option available to you is visiting an early surgical abortion clinic. Early surgical abortion, also known as suction curettage abortion, is a procedure in which a doctor uses suction to empty your uterus. Here are a few important facts about the procedure.

When Does it Take Place?

Early surgical abortion happens within the first trimester of your pregnancy, meaning within 6 to 14 weeks since the first day of your last menstrual period. If you are aware of the pregnancy before six weeks and wish to abort, your doctor may ask you to wait until the six-week mark. The reason for this is that it's important for the doctor to remove all of the pregnancy during the procedure. If it happens before six weeks, the abortion may be less effective.

Does it Hurt?

The procedure affects everyone differently on the pain scale. However, there will definitely be some pain and discomfort associated with the procedure. For some, the pain is severe and for others less, but most women report that they experience a sensation during or after the procedure that feels like intense menstrual cramping.

What Does the Procedure Involve?

In an early surgical abortion procedure, your doctor will place a speculum in your vagina to allow access. Then they will numb your cervix and gradually dilate your cervix using a series of widening rods. Next, a slim tube is inserted into your uterus and your doctor will use gentle suction through the tube to empty your uterus, typically with a machine or hand-held syringe. Finally, the doctor will use an instrument called a curette to ensure that all of the pregnancy has been removed.

Will I Receive Anesthesia?

Your doctor will apply a local anesthesia or numbing medication to your cervix. You may also receive oral medication like Vicodin or Valium to help reduce the pain.

How Affective is the Procedure?

Early surgical suction curettage abortion is a one-time procedure that lasts about three hours and has a success rate of 99%. The other 1% of women may need an additional procedure or intervention in order to experience a successful abortion.

Contact an early surgical abortion clinic for more information.


Share